Warmer weather is here to stay. Don’t let your energy use rise when the outside temperature does! You’re about to read some amazing tips that are easy to implement and can help cut back on your energy use around the house.
- Keep it comfortable. Set the thermostat as high as comfortable during the warmer months. Did you know the smaller the difference between the temperature set inside and the temperature outside, the lower your cooling bill will be?
- Shut off the Ceiling Fan. Don’t forget to turn off the ceiling fan (s) when you leave the room. Fans cool people… not rooms.
- Schedule a check-up. Schedule a maintenance check for your cooling equipment. This will help you determine if you need to fix anything and ensure the system is running smoothly and efficiently.
- Cook outside. On those especially hot days, avoid cooking inside. Turning on the oven or stove can cause the temperature in your kitchen to rise almost 10 degrees. Fire up the grill instead for dinner tonight.
- LED’s only please. Upgrade your lights from those old incandescent bulbs to LED’s. Did you know that only 10%-15% of electricity emitted by incandescent bulbs is light… the rest comes off as HEAT.
- Turn it down. You can save between 4-22% annually by lowering the temperature of your water heater from 140 degrees to 120 degrees.
- Seal air leaks. Pick up some caulk for your home. You can save between 10%- 20% by checking and sealing any air leaks in your home, especially around the windows.