Summer times means delicious grilled food, beach days, and campfire stories. With the warm weather, now is the perfect time to spend all of your free time outside, especially when you are having a family and friends get-together. Summer time can cause people to use slightly more electricity, especially when trying to cool the house. We gathered a few tips that may help you lower your electric usage, while having a great summer.
- Upgrade to LED bulbs for outside lighting. If you keep your backyard well lit, this alone could save you hundreds of dollars each summer.
- Candles over zappers. Bugs during the summertime are the worst! While you might want to get the electric bug zapper, opt for a citronella candle instead to keep the bugs at bay.
- Grill more. This is the perfect time of year to enjoy some grilled chicken or steak outside on the BBQ. Cooking your dinner for the evening on the grill is also the most energy-efficient way to prepare food.
- Turn off the AC while you’re outside. Don’t waste energy cooling the house when you are spending time outside. Instead turn it back on about 30 minutes before you plan on coming back inside.
- Don’t over trim your yard. Use the natural shade from the trees in your yard to cool off from the summer sun.
Get your family and friends together and enjoy the summer sun in your backyard, while using less electricity inside the house.
General tips are taken from the below sources and are not independently verified by Hello Energy. Dollar and usage savings are estimates and are based on, but not limited to the following: home profile information, performance assumptions, third-party resources, and the average regional cost for electricity. Savings are not guaranteed, are subject to change, and may vary.